talking points for book groups
Questions ABOUT INDIVIDUAL characters
- Who did you feel are the main characters in the novel and how did you feel about these characters? Do you think there are more sympathetic or unsympathetic characters in the world of the book? Did you find the inclusion of unsympathetic characters challenging as a reader?
- How do you think Brennan/Barnaby's treatment after his move from Northern Ireland affected or informed his treatment of Aloysius in the police station and his behaviour within his own marriage?
- To what extent do you think that Nathaniel and Lanny managed to escape their highly unusual childhood?
- Why do you think Anna walked away from Aloysius and Samira in the police station? Do you find her actions forgivable and is Aloysius right to move past them?
- Do you agree with the choices Orla makes in the second half of the novel? How much do you feel she's acting in her own interests and how much in the interests of her daughter Gracie?
- There are lots of daughters in the book. Thinking about Anna, Samira, Orla and Lanny - all women who have sought or are seeking a degree of freedom in their adult lives - to what extent do you think their choices and lifestyles have been shaped by their individual personalities as opposed to the society around them? Are there any 'good daughters' in the novel?
- Miranda Emmerson is currently writing the second Miss Treadway novel set twenty months after the events of the first book. Many of the characters from the first novel will re-appear - what do you think has happened to Anna and Aloysius, Barnaby and Samira following on from the events of book one?